The Proud Straughn Tiger Tradition Begins here at Straughn Elementary School. Straughn Elementary School is a rural public Pre-K through 5th grade school-wide Title I school in Covington County, Alabama, geographically located in south central Alabama, and operated by the Covington County School System. Straughn Elementary School serves the rural communities of Straughn, Heath, Antioch, Rose Hill, Babbie, Gantt, and Harmony. Since its creation in 1996 when Straughn School, a K-12 school established in 1886 separated into an elementary (K-6) and high school (7-12), our student enrollment has increased to 600+ students with two classes of Pre-K students. Over 75% of our students are transported to and from school on school buses, and 22% of our students attend afterschool programming on campus. In 2006, Straughn Middle School, a 6-8 school, was created. All three schools are located within walking distance of each other.
Community expectations, state accountability, and student-centered learning attitudes among the faculty, staff, administration, and parents/guardians have been the catalysts for Straughn Elementary School meeting its Adequate Yearly Progress in reading, mathematics, and science proficiency every year to date, a 95.97% attendance rate, 100% of teachers and paraprofessionals being highly qualified, and few incidents of discipline. Straughn Elementary School has been an Alabama Reading Initiative School since 2005, a state designated FOCUS school since 2014, an Alabama First Class Pre-K Program recipient since 2015, and a recipient of 21st Century Community Learning Center grants totaling more than one million dollars.
Parents Watch this Video about Purchasing Ink
|2017-18 School Calendar|
- Feb. 27- March 3: Dr. Seuss Week
- March 1-31: Pre-K Registration
- March 2: Dr. Seuss Family Night; 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- March 15: Spring Pictures
- March 16: Report Cards
- March 21: OLSAT for 2nd grade
- March 24: Kindergarten Registration; 8-1:00 p.m.
- March 27-31: Spring Break!
- April 4: Pre-K Drawing at the Central Office; 12:00 p.m. NOON
- April 11-14: State ACTAspire Testing for Grades 3, 4, and 5
- April 13: Progress Reports
- April 20: Field Day 2017
- April 21: BREAK - No School
- May 5: Top 100 Readers Field Trip
- May 24: Kindergarten Graduation
- May 25: Awards Day & Last Day of School for Students
|Straughn Elementary |
29324 Straughn School Rd.
Andalusia, AL 36421
Phone: (334) 427-1311
Fax: (334) 427-1401
Cov. Co. Schools:
Cov. Co. Schools Website
Fleeta Jr. High
Pleasant Home School
Red Level Elementary
Straughn Middle School
Some of the above links require a "pdf" reader to view the page. Download a free reader by clicking here.
Mission Statement for Covington County Schools
Covington County Schools’ Vision: “Respectful, Responsible, and Resourceful”The Mission of the Covington County School System is to provide students with the skills and knowledge to become respectful, responsible, and resourceful members of society.To address this mission, the Covington County School System will …
- Attract, develop, and retain an exceptional staff
- Provide a safe, secure, and nurturing learning environment,
- Meet each student's individual instructional needs
- Continuously improve instructional programs
- Involve families and other community members as partners in the learning process
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Equal Opportunity Policy: It is the official policy of Covington County School System that no person shall, on the ground of race, sex, religion, color, creed, national origin, handicap, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment and provide access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries of complaints regarding compliance with federal regulations on 504, Title I, Title II, and Title IX may be directed to Donny Powell, Federal Programs Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kelly McCollough, 504 Coordinator, Covington County Board of Education, 807 C.C. Baker Avenue, Andalusia, AL. 36420, (334) 222-7571
© 2016-17 powered by
Maintained by Straughn Elementary School, Andalusia, Alabama; (334) 427-1311